Thursday 10 September 2015

Do'nt go down the mine, Dad



Alighting from the bus, I looked around for someone from whom to ask directions. The only person in sight was a little old lady carrying two shopping baskets apparently containing only Pringles, Rizlas, and chocolate bars. I asked her how to get to the museum, and her response was “ Wow. Yeah, the museum. Cool. Might be over that way. Hey. Cool,”
Yes, I was in Wanlockhead, the highest village in Scotland.



I soon located said  “Museum of Lead Mining”, and registered for the mine tour. At its peak, there were 47 lead mines and several copper, gold and silver mines in a two mile stretch between here and the neighbouring village of Leadhills.The lead mainly went to the Low Countries by way of Leith.
 

A lot of work has gone into re-opening this mine and making it suitable for visitors.


 
 
 

The galena ore was dragged out on these sledges by wee boys, You had to earn your X-box in those days.


  The remains of the smelter
 
 

 
One of the deep mines. Some went down to 600 ft below sea level. Big deal ? Well yes, if you remember that the surface here is 1500 ft above sea level.
The spoil heaps are a mecca for mineral collectors

 


The beam engine - unusually operated by a water-filled, self-tipping bucket at the opposite end from the pump.

 

 
 A lump of Wanlockhead galena.

 

A good day out, including a wee rail trip from Glasgow to Sanquhar  I realised that I hadn’t been in Ayrshire for a ridiculously long time and resolved to remedy this at the earliest opportunity .


I think Liege and  Lief is in my Top 5 albums

 

4 comments:

  1. I love industrial archeology, no matter the age - it's fascinating. I love Liege & Lief too, a brilliant album wot I have got :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 15 minutes or so off the M74 between Carlisle and Glasgow.
      That was the classic lineup with Sandy Denny and Swarb, the unlikeliest rock star ever ! Great songs and arrangements.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed that, OM. Took me back to holidays in the 60s. My dad was from Sanquhar and we used to go up there a lot. It's a great area, but it must of been a hard life in the old days. Probably is now.
    All the best, Alen McF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hard life indeed, Alen - both above and below ground !
      Interesting museum in Sanquhar too. Helps to put the current craziness in perspective.

      Delete