Thursday 17 January 2013

An Inspector Calls

 

(This post is brought to you courtesy of Bill Gates/Alan Sloman and everyone else who has been telling me to get with Live Writer.)

 

DSCF3819

 

Yup, it's time for my Winter round of Path Inspections.I have a decent selection including two in the village itself which can be done when I pop out for a lottery ticket. The other two are a bit more ambitious, and today (Tuesday) seemed an ideal chance to take advantage of the unseasonal spell of fine weather to tackle Logie to Menstrie.

 

What ?

 

Snow ?

 

Really ?

Well here in the land of The Chosen People it's been sunny, mild with the merest hint of a zephyr (or is it a zodiac?). So there.

I walked from home along the Back o Dykes Road to Logie Kirk

DSCF3792

Remember I told you about the two twelth century hog back graves (Rosencrantz and Guldenstern) ?

DSCF3793

Stonkin' good example of a Monkey Puzzle tree - probably from one of the first batches of seed to arrive from Chile.

DSCF3795

The tone was set within the first 50m !

DSCF3796

But fortunately I had come prepared in my Cozmic (blues again) boots.

DSCF3797

This is a nice varied walk, one that I do sometimes even when I don't have the peaked cap and clipboard. It starts off in some woodland.

DSCF3798

And then breaks out onto open hillside. This is the line of the old road, contouring along at about 50 ft above the flat carseland, which, until a couple of hundred years ago was impassable bog.

DSCF3804

Cutsie little conservation village of Blairlogie

Up to this point I had had nothing to report then – shockaroonie

DSCF3815

Can you say arseholes on Live Writer ?

Not evil landowners with barbed wire, just lazy twats who couldn't be arsed crossing the stile out of the carpark. My clipboard was throbbing, I can tell you !

However, about half a mile further on.......

DSCF3810

DSCF3812 

Success !

Those of you who are stalking me will recall that, when i did my Autumn inspection, I remarked on a rather rotten sleeper bridge.

Well, to prove that someone listens to me, here's the brand spanking new replacement.

DSCF3820

The final section is a farm road which melds into the Menstrie Glen/Lossburn path, but not today (I have plans to combine this with something else). So I slithered down the steep waterworks path to Menstrie - only partially on my backside.

Another fine day - another bonus.

 

OK . The Fine and Mellow music seemed to go down like a bucket of cold sick with you, so I'll try something more raucous

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Must be satisfying to see improvements have been made.
    Strike one more for you - Martin Harley - fantastic! Thanks.
    (I like the Moby too, but I knew that one already.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark. Looks like a good gig to have been at!
      Glad you seem to have shaken off the chest infection - i've had a few lately and they sometimes hang on for ages

      Delete
  2. Down our way they just nick the lead from the church roofs...

    Left AND right justified pictures now, eh? The world is your lobster, Rodney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just look out for the surround-sound 3-D posts in future !

      Delete
  3. Very nice area. Not a part of the world i know at all so good to see the photo's. Stayed in Stirling 1 night and that's as close to you as i have been. I was working though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, Alan - The Gateway to The Highlands.
      I really appreciate being able to walk out the back door and be in the hills in half an hour - just wish I was healthier, but mustn't complain.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty it looks too...your effort with livewriter. I keep forgetting to use it...mind you I keep forgetting to write in general.

    Just to really irritate you I took the liberty of awarding you The Versatile Blogger thingy (you get to put a pretty logo on your blog). See here to read about it - http://wherethefatdogwalks.com/2013/01/19/crossing-the-great-divide/ . Now...I bet that made your whole year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Ken. I take it that once someone gives you this Versatile Blogger thing, you can award it to someone else ?

      Like chlamydia ?

      Delete
  5. A winter round isn't often enough. Every three months at worst. And, if I remember right, it's aboot 40mm for a dangerous tripping edge on a road and only 20mm for a path.

    I think you're too saft.

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saft ? Saft ye say? Let me tell you this. boy. Not only do we do these inspections every three months - we do them quarterly

      Delete
  6. Martin Harley, excellent. Another new one for me. Thanks. Fist time I've seen someone play what looks like a J200 as a lap-steel! Fine sound, mind. I had one for a while and hated it. Came to me via Donovan. Cos of Gary Davis back then, I'd always wanted one. It was a sad disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted ! He usually plays a Weissenborn copy.

      Delete